Civil Union License Information
Where to Apply:
Moultrie County Clerk's Office
Fill out an Application online (Save time by filling out the application online and bringing your confirmation number to our office)
When to Apply:
Apply at least one calendar day prior to the wedding; the license is valid for 60 days after the effective date. Both parties must be present in the County Clerk's office to obtain the Civil Union License
If not married within the 60 days the license is void and the couple will need to reapply, and will be assessed an additional fee.
$65 - Cash or Check only
Monday - Friday
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
The Marriage Application process take approximately 20 minutes.
You must be at least 18 years of age. You can be married at ages 16 or 17, but BOTH NATURAL PARENTS must sign a parental consent form in the County Clerk's Office at the time you apply for the Marriage License. Those giving consent must provide proper identification, including valid driver’s license, state Identification Card, Valid Passport, etc. Legal Guardians must also provide a certified copy of the guardianship papers.
A certified copy of the minor’s birth certificate and a second piece of identification showing date of birth will also be required.
Valid driver's license or acceptable ID is required for both parties. It may also be necessary to show proof of age when applying for a Marriage License.
Acceptable Forms of Identification to obtain a Civil Union License
- Illinois Driver's License
- Illinois State Identification Card
- Out-of-State Driver's License or State Identification Card
- Out of Country - We will also need a copy of your passport and/or Green Card
If you have been previously married, and the last marriage ended by death, dissolution or annulment, you must provide:
• Month, date and year of the previous marriage.
• County and State in which the death, dissolution or annulment occurred.
• If the dissolution or annulment occurred within 30 days of the date you are obtaining the Civil Union license, you are required to provide a copy of the decree signed by the Judge of the Circuit Court.
Licenses issued by the Moultrie County Clerk's office are only valid for ceremonies performed in Moultrie County.
Getting Married by a Judge
If you are getting married by a Judge, you will need to make arrangements by calling 217.728.4521
Civil Union License Application