Birth Record Request
Where To Apply:
- In Person in the Moultrie County Clerk's Office
- Download Application and mail into the County Clerk's Office
- Fill out the request online with a small fee by using Official Records Online- ORO
Where to Mail Application
Moultrie County Clerk
10 S. Main, Suite 6
Sullivan, IL 61951
$15 for the first copy, $6 for each additional copy of the same record when purchased at the same time - Cash or Check only.
Monday - Friday
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Who is entitled to certified copy?
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Parent(s) shown on the certificate
- Legal guardian or legal representative of the child
- Upon the specific written request for a certified copy by a department of the State or a municipal corporation or the Federal Government
- Upon the court order of a court of record
For Genealogical Purposes: Birth must be on file longer than 75 years.
Please Note: Due to a Courthouse fire on November 25, 1864, most records were destroyed; therefore, records from 1843 to 1877 are sporadic.
Surviving the fire was ONE birth recorded in 1856, three in 1857, none from 1858-1862, with random recordings from 1863 to 1877. In 1877, the State Board of Health implemented that birth records be placed on file; however, this was not put into law until 1915. Therefore, there are random recordings from 1877 to 1915.
Birth Records cannot be faxed
Photo ID required for Birth or Death Vital Records (and, at the discretion of the County Clerk's Office, for some Marriage Records). If you do not have a photo ID then a copy of your Social Security card.