Assumed Name Business/DBA
1. Who is Required to File?
Anyone doing business in Moultrie County, who is not a corporation and is not using his/her full name in the name of the business.
• Sole proprietorships – Businesses defined under state law as being owned by an individual or husband and wife.
• General partnerships – Associations of two or more persons who carry on as co-owners a for-profit business entity.
2. Who is NOT Required to File?
The following types of companies that conduct business are not required to file assumed names, but are required to file with the Secretary of State:
• Limited Liability Companies – Business entities, distinct from its members, who maintain on file a limited liability registration with the Secretary of State’s office.
• Limited Liability Partnerships – An association of two or more persons who carry on as co-owners for a for-profit business entity that is distinct from its partners and which maintains on file a limited liability registration with the Secretary of State’s office.
• Limited Partnerships – An association of two or more persons who carry on as full and partial owners or investors for a for-profit business entity that is distinct from its partners.
• Corporations – A business managed by directors and created with powers (to issue shares, buy properties, etc.) and liabilities independent of its individual members as defined by state law.
$29 Filling Fee - Cash, Check or Money Order
4. Filling Period
You must complete this transaction in its entirety within fifty (50) days from the date originally filed in the County Clerk's office. If the Clerk does not receive the Publisher's Certificate within the 50 day time period, said Certificate shall be deemed void.
You are responsible for the fees charged by the newspaper for the legal ad.
5. Where to File
If you will have sole proprietor or general partnership business then you should file at:
Moultrie County Clerk
10 S. Main, Suite 6
Sullivan, IL 61951
If you will have an incorportated, corporated or limited business then you should file at:
The Secretary of State Office in Springfield
6. Other Helpful Information
Illinois Department of Revenue for your Tax ID number: 1.800.732.8866 www.revenue.state.il.us
Internal Revenue Service for information regarding FEIN Numbers:
General Info 1.800.829.1040 FEIN Info: 1.800.829.4933
Other Helpful Information - First Stop Business Center: 1.800.252.2923